Sunday 30 January 2011

EA Sports Active 2


EA Sports Active 2
PS3/X-Box 360/Wii

“Train, don’t strain” - Arthur Lydiard (Runner)

During 2010 I let my exercise routines drop due to other commitments and, like most people after the Christmas indulgence period, I need to start working out more. So I’ve decided to give EA Sports Active 2 (EASA2) a chance.

EASA2 has been released across all 3 consoles and utilises a different control method on each, I’m using the PS3 version. The PS3 version comes with 3 sensor straps, one for each arm and one for the right leg. The left arm sensor also acts as a heart monitor. Setting up the sensors is easy, load the game, insert the USB dongle and turn the sensors on.

EASA2 starts off lightly with avatar creation, choosing a virtual coach and then picking a starting work out. Thankfully the game has 2 workouts pre-programmed; a short one and a long one, and both programs have 3 difficulty levels. Great for those of us which are getting back into excises, those that generally don’t exercise and those that are fitness fanatics. If 2 work out programs are not enough for you, there are also options to create your own workouts or have your coach create you a personalised workout from the exercises available in EASA2.

I am currently working through the shorter “Cardio” work out to break back into an exercise routine. This workout sees me exercising for around 20mins a day, 4 times a week. The games diary keeps track of my workout routines, with optional tracking of diet and exercises out side of the game. I was originally a little apprehensive of how much good 20 mins of exercise would do me, but it made me sweat and left my muscles aching the next day – so I’m taking it as good exercise.

EASA2 mixes the exercises up with mini game type routines, where the player saves goals in football, shoots baskets in basketball and rides down mountains on a mountain bike.

To help work out, EASA2 gives players the option to customise the games soundtrack. I found this to be a great feature, as I prefer to workout to rock music.

Graphically, EASA2 doesn’t push the PS3’s abilities but it gets the job done. Textures are smooth and people look like people, what more could you want from an exercise game?

My partner and I have hit a few issues with the sensors, where they seem to forget where the player is when squatting, but it is only a small hiccup that doesn’t occur regularly. The other issue with EASA2 is that multiplayer is currently not possible without buying to copies of the game (so that player 2 can have sensors as well). Hopefully this is something that EA will resolve in the future.

EASA2 also has the option for downloadable content, so if the player does somehow get bored of the exercises, more should be available in the future.

Should EASA2 replace gym visits? Probably not, but using it to aid exercise regimes can help your fitness. Think of EASA2 as a big step up from the horrid exercise DVDs that c-list celebs pump out when their careers are dying.

And readers, please remember, exercising only helps if you are eating healthy in the first place
 


No comments:

Post a Comment